
So far so good on my trip here...there is a three hour time difference and sunshine nearly all the time. I had a great flights yesterday. LAX was cool (even tho I was just at the airport) because I had never been to Los Angeles before. I then hopped off and went to my next flight to take me to Anchorage. Both flights were smooth sailing - I slept a majority of the Anchorage flight comfortably because I had an empty seat beside me. After landing in Anchorage and grabbing my bags I met my Uncle and we jumped in his truck for a nice three hour drive into Kenai getting to see lots of mountains and the famous Cook Inlet. At 2 am it was dark outside but not so dark where you could not see anything. It was magnificent seeing how the mountains and the water together seem to run into each other. I can't think of anything greater that sort of just gels together like the mountains and oceans do. Driving through the pass, my Uncle (Buddy) and I caught up on our lives and compared stories of our recollections. Stopping to walk around and up to the Kenai River brought back memories of my past Alaskan summers of fishing and feeling the cool breeze in the air.
As I see, feel, and smell all of the nature surrounding me, I can't help but think of how great of a God I serve - He made the rivers, oceans, mountains, the cool air. Words cannot describe everything I am experiencing as I stand out in the chilly morning air. Mountains here in Alaska are just down-right huge. They have great definition and character and none of them look the same. Water in the rivers, creeks, and even ocean is so clean and fresh. It possesses great tenacity at times and yet at other times a quietness/calmness. O the air - it is crisp and calming. I wish I could just inhale it and never exhale it - that crisp smell it has is a unique experience.
Just being outdoors in this last frontier solidifies for me that there is no doubt in my heart that there is something much greater out there - God - and I am in awe of His creation and all that it possesses for us humans to experience. Psalm 148 - check it out - was written for a day like today: Praise the Lord from the heavens, praise him in the heights above. Praise him, sun and moon; praise him, all you shining stars. Praise him you highest heavens and you waters above the skies. WHOA!
Tomorrow we will be heading out to set lines in Cook Inlet so we can start fishing. It will be a full day of work and I am excited to begin this great opportunity. Who knows what God has in store but I pray I can reach out to the guys I fish with and that my work and what I put my hand to will reflect God's glory.
Until next time,
Edward