Saturday, August 6, 2011

05. Aug

Everything is coming to a quick end. I just checked the Fishing Hotline and by the looks of things, my last days in Alaska will not be to enjoy this beautiful state, but instead to work. We got called in for 11 am tomorrow and will work until 11 pm Monday night. While the last days will be long, I did come here to work and will not regret it due to the fact I love my job!

This past Thursday we had a close call at our site. it was about 4 or so in the morning and we were getting the beach nets ready to go out and start fishing when suddenly there was a guy running to us. He told us that one of the crew on net 2 got taken out by an anchor. The rope snapped and flew back and hit him. It was a scary moment not knowing what was going to happen next. Thank the Lord we had a guy who is working for us who is a paramedic and he was able to look at him and assess the injury. The hurt crewmember suffered a bad rope burn across his stomach and a big cut across his arm, and the anchor caught him in the thigh area which actually was great - because any higher would have meant serious damage to the chest area.

I look back to that day and say, 'Thank you Jesus that was not me, because it should have been me'. You see, every day this season I worked on net number 2. That net was always worked by Teagun and me, but for some reason I went to net number 1 on this morning. I started walking there and I didn't know why. I realize now that God was protecting me because the guy who did get hit is much bigger than me and his size gave him more buffering to take that hit. If that 35 pound anchor would have flown back and hit me, all I know is I could have been in the hospital with some broken bones.

I will try to write one more time before I leave Alaska and head back down to the lower 48. But keep in prayer the guys I work with as well as me because you never know when a crazy situation can happen. This is a job where injuries occur and even deaths are possible. The season is almost over and we really would not like things to end that way because it's been such a great season and hopefully will hit 200,000 pounds very soon!

Until next time,
Edward