Wednesday, July 13, 2011

13. July


So the first day of fishing season went very good. I learned a lot while working out there. I now understand the process of how things roll and when Thursday comes around I will be able to help a lot more at my site. The first morning began with flaking the nets out and loading them into the boat to go out and then the lines were set. We setted (yea, that's the way you say it) three lines in a mid way section that are called swing sets. Then we came back to shore and left the nets soaking so the fish could run into the nets.

How the whole thing works is as you set your nets the fish are swimming around in the current and the current changes when the tide changes. So when the tide is going out we set the nets and when the tide and current change we go out and pick those nets and get the fish! There are three guys to a boat: one guy works the bow and he pulls up the nets at the beginning of the set line over the bow and onto the middle of the boat. He keeps the lead end (which is the bottom end) and my side takes the corks and we quickly start pulling through the the net until we get to the end of the line. As we are doing that we pick the fish out of the lines and toss them into the boat. Then they go into the totes, then the truck, then down the beach.

We are fishing eight lines that are about 75 yards long or maybe a little bit bigger. 3 are close to the beach, then there are 3 swing nets and 2 outer nets. This set up is giving us the greatest chances of catching as many fish as we can - it's all about numbers!

It has been a great two days off after that first day but I am constantly on call because you never know if Wildlife and Fisheries will all of a sudden let you commercial fish on the days you have off. This can happen if there is a high concentration of fish coming through Cook Inlet. Then I would have to be ready to go out and fish at a minute's notice.


During the last two days I've been reading the book, "In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day". Even though I still haven't finished it, I can tell it's gonna be a good one. The first chapter introduces you to Benaiah who was a courageous man - this guy even chased down a lion and killed it. The author comments that most human beings would never chase a lion down but instead run away from it. Benaiah eventually becomes the head of King David's bodyguards. The writer then talks about opportunities - how you never know when an opportunity presented could end up leading to something bigger. We have opportunities that present themselves to us and it is up to us to take the moment - seize it and embrace it - or walk away. I feel like when it comes to things that are not of this earth, we need to definitely seize those opportunities - become like Benaiah and be a lion chaser and go after what God has laid before us because you never know where that opportunity will lead, maybe a new job or even a person coming to know Christ. I want to look at my opportunities and say, "Be a lion chaser" and take advantage of everything God has in store for my life. Ask yourself, do you want to be a lion chaser or just run away from the lions? I go back out tomorrow to fish and will look at this opportunity to grow, chase lions, and chase fish too!

Until next time,

Edward